If you have unruly frizzy hair, then a hair smoothening treatment from a hair straightening salon will be your best friend. Here is everything you need to know about it and if it’s perfect for you or not.
Hair Smoothening – What Is It?
Hair smoothening is more like a general term and it is also known as Brazilian blowout or cysteine treatment, depending on the salon you go to and what this treatment does to your hair. It makes the hair smooth, shiny, and free from frizz.
If you have frizzy and slightly curly hair and you want to tame it, then you can definitely go for a hair smoothening treatment. It is different from normal keratin or protein treatments, because of the treatment concoction that is applied to your hair and the longevity of the overall treatment.
Hair smoothening can last anywhere from 2 to 6 months, and it is termed as a temporary way of hair straightening or smoothening. Whereas, keratin treatment lasts a lot longer and also can be classified as somewhat of a semi-permanent hair straightening technique. So, if you’re not digging the straight and smooth look, hair smoothening can be easily reversed and you can go back to your normal textured hair if that’s what you prefer.
Furthermore, hair smoothening doesn’t make your hair brittle or cause extreme damage, so hair health is pretty good even after getting this treatment. It also promotes healthy hair growth and your hair does look a lot stronger and healthier, which is a great thing.
Hair Smoothening Process
Here is a step-by-step guide as hoe hair smoothening is done on your hair:
- Firstly, you want your hair to be completely clean. If there is any sort of product in your hair, then the treatment will not have the same results. This is why, if you haven’t already washed your hair, the stylist will do it for you. Your scalp is the main focus when washing the hair because you want it to be free from sebum, product buildup, and unwanted grease.
- After your hair has been shampooed and conditioned, it is dried with a blow dryer and divided into multiple sections. It’s important that you have dry hair for the coming step because now is the time for the application of the smoothening cream or treatment.
- A cysteine or smoothening treatment is applied to your hair, making sure that the treatment is not touching the roots. Since there are some harsh chemicals in it, you don’t want the roots to be exposed to these chemicals. The treatment is allowed to sit in the length of your hair for 30 to 40 minutes and then it is washed off and the hair is blow dried again.
- Afterward, a flat iron is run through your hair to seal the deal. Then, a conditioning treatment is applied to nourish and protect the hair, and is washed off after 20 to 30 minutes. The hair is dried one last time and styled accordingly and you are good to go.
Pros And Cons Of Hair Smoothening
Here are some good and not-so-good things about a hair smoothening treatment.
- It is temporary which can be a good or bad thing, depending on what you want. If you want something permanent and don’t want to change it, then this might not be the treatment for you, but if you like changing things around, then give it a go.
- It is not good for extremely thick curly hair, because the treatment will not be able to break the protein in the frizz and the results won’t be the same.
- It’s not a damaging treatment. It keeps the hair looking shiny and full of life and it gives the hair a healthy look.
- The treatment does contain formaldehyde, which can be irritating for some people as they have sensitive scalps.
- It gives the hair a natural, healthy, and subtle look.
There you have it! All hair treatments are different and cater to different needs and types of hair. If your hair falls in the category of hair smoothening, then you can give it a try. Only go to expert hairstylists of a Brazilian keratin salon Bethesda to avoid hair damage and get straight hair.